Easy Thanksgiving Recipes Kids Can Make
If you are hosting Thanksgiving dinner this year, you probably have a to-do list a mile long with grocery shopping, cleaning and cooking. Cross off a few items on your list by letting your kids help with the cooking. They will probably like being involved in the preparation of the big holiday meal, and you will be free to focus on the turkey.
These easy Thanksgiving recipes are simple enough for kids to prepare (with a little adult supervision) and scrumptious enough for everyone to enjoy.
Green Bean Casserole
This classic side dish combines delicious creamy and crunchy flavors, and it’s a snap for kids to prepare.
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 4 cups cooked green beans (steamed in the microwave is a shortcut)
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 ¼ cups French-fried onions
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Sprinkles of salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste
1. Stir the soup, green beans, milk, spices and half of the onions together in a casserole dish.
2. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes, then stir and sprinkle with cheddar and the remaining onions. Bake for 5 more minutes or until the onions are golden brown.
Who knew making cornbread from scratch was so easy? The only challenging part is getting it to the table without it being eaten straight out of the pan!
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cooking oil
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
1. Combine the dry ingredients and mix well.
2. Add oil, egg and milk and mix until just blended.
3. Pour into a greased 8-inch square pan and bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes. Serve with butter, honey and jam.
Whole Cranberry Sauce
Even kids who don’t like canned cranberry sauce will have a hard time resisting this deliciously simple recipe.
- 12-ounce bag of fresh cranberries
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
1. Combine all the ingredients in a saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
2. Bring to a boil and cook until berries pop.
You must log in to post a comment.