Don’t despair if your plans to spend the day playing in the sunshine at the park are foiled by spring showers. You can still have a blast on a rainy day by getting creative with indoor games and crafts. These activities will keep both parents and children so entertained that you’ll forget all about the park.
- Cozy up with a book and a cup of hot chocolate. Take turns reading aloud and making up silly voices for each of the characters. Soon you’ll be going on adventures without leaving your warm home.
- Build a fort in the living room. Use a sofa, chairs, tables, pillows, old blankets and sheets to create a secret lair for playing make-believe. Pretend it’s a pirate ship, a castle or a faraway planet.
- Use stickers as story starters. Place a sticker in the middle of a page, and write a story or poem around it.
- Get moving with a game of freeze dance. To play, everyone dances like crazy while the music is playing, then freezes when the music suddenly stops. If you are playing with a group, the last person to stop for each round is “out” until one winning dancer remains. You can also play for fun with one or two children.
- Break out the coloring books and get artistic with crayons, markers or colored pencils.
- Mix up a batch of homemade clay or play dough. Use one of the recipes here and sculpt your favorite wild animals or spring flowers.