Fun Indoor Activities to Beat the Rainy Day Blues
Don’t despair if your plans to spend the day playing in the sunshine at the park are foiled by spring showers. You can still have a blast on a rainy day by getting creative with indoor games and crafts. These activities will keep both parents and children so entertained that you’ll forget all about the park.
- Cozy up with a book and a cup of hot chocolate. Take turns reading aloud and making up silly voices for each of the characters. Soon you’ll be going on adventures without leaving your warm home.
- Build a fort in the living room. Use a sofa, chairs, tables, pillows, old blankets and sheets to create a secret lair for playing make-believe. Pretend it’s a pirate ship, a castle or a faraway planet.
- Use stickers as story starters. Place a sticker in the middle of a page, and write a story or poem around it.
- Get moving with a game of freeze dance. To play, everyone dances like crazy while the music is playing, then freezes when the music suddenly stops. If you are playing with a group, the last person to stop for each round is “out” until one winning dancer remains. You can also play for fun with one or two children.
- Break out the coloring books and get artistic with crayons, markers or colored pencils.
- Mix up a batch of homemade clay or play dough. Use one of the recipes here and sculpt your favorite wild animals or spring flowers.