Great Halloween-themed Books.
Halloween isn’t just an excuse for kids to dress up and eat lots of candy. It’s also an opportunity for parents to encourage reading by picking up some books with spooky themes. Before you go door to door in search of treats, take your young ones to the library or bookstore in search of haunting reads, like:
- Runaway Mummy: A Petrifying Parody by Michael Rex
Pair this adventuresome book with the author’s other terrifying take on a childhood classic,Goodnight Goon, for an eerie bedtime read.
- Can You Make a Scary Face? by Jan Thomas
A picture book that challenges kids to make faces and other scary moves to ward off the wicked.
- Junie B., First Grader: BOO…and I MEAN It! by Barbara Park
This quirky chapter book will speak to kids who are a little nervous about ghosts and goblins but still want to take part in Halloween festivities.
- This Book Is Not Good for You by Pseudonymous Bosch
For middle schoolers, this tale offers a bewitching brew of kidnapping, chocolate and a secret ingredient.
- Streets of Panic Park by R.L. Stine
In this villainous volume for kids 9 to 12, the only thing worse than HorrorLand is Panic Park.
What’s your favorite spooky story?