The first day of school can be stressful for kids of any age. Whether it’s the first day of kindergarten or senior year of high school, kids can be anxious about the first day of the school year. This could be amplified if they are going to a new school this year. Here are a few tips to help ease the transition from summer to school with ease.
- Set schedules and stick to them. It will put your child’s mind at ease to get into a routine, including times to go to bed and waking up in the morning.
- Get school supplies and clothes organized before the first day. It’ll be easier on busy mornings if you or the kids aren’t running around looking for things.
- Be more available the first week or two. Your child might need some extra attention or help with homework when school begins. They’ll feel at ease knowing you’re there for support.
- Plan a special activity or trip before summer ends. Kids will remember the great time they had being with you at summer’s end, hopefully easing the transition of going back to school.
- Purchase a special item or outfit for the first day. Your child will feel extra special in their new clothes or with their new lunch box that first day!
We wish everyone a great first day of school — kids and parents alike!